I was reminded about Eskwela a Filipino SNS catering to all who went to schools (High School to College), by Aja Lapus via his comment in one of my post entitled - Philippine Social-Networking Services or SNS.
Eskwela is for you, the student and alumni. They proudly display a 100% Pinoy Made banner on their website, and a tagline By Filipinos, for Filipinos in the Philippines! (Hopefully they start to include overseas Pinoys.)
Eskwela is focused on you, the student and alumni. Eskwela was built by Filipinos, for Filipinos in the Philippines!
Let's get down to it. Features explained...
1) My Classes: who's that cute chick in Econ 101? How abou that sexy guy in CS 101? List your classes and get to know your classmates. You can also review and discuss.
2) Who's Who: an online directory of your classmates, coursemates, collegemates, batchmates and schoolmates. Enuff said!
3) Unlimited: you can add as many friends and upload as many photos as you want. Absolutely no limits.
4) Exclusivity: you are a part of an exclusive group of people.
5) Tagging: the entire site is built on the concept of tagging, a sort-of built-in search for discovery.
There are lots more to discover but unfortunately I have to go back to "bug hunting".
I encourage you to visit our forum at forum.eskwela.com and submit feature requests, comments and bug reports.
Co-founder & CEO
There is also the testimonial feature, an SNS must never forget this, especially if they want to target Filipinos and Asians in general - we love testimonials!
This feature is the:
My Big Mouth. It is like a testimonial, you can Add, Delete & Request them from your friends and schoolmates. You can also easily see the testimonials you gave by clicking on the "What I am saying" tab.
So once you logged-in, you will be presented your "My Desk". This is where you will see summarize data of the new members in your College, HS, and even Work. Also found are invite links to allow you to send invites to you Yahoo, AOL, Gmail, Hotmail, and MSN contacts. A very neat and useful feature (and of course subject to spamming), but it is useful, as when I invited all my contacts (from the services mentioned), I immediately found 10 friends and colleagues who are already members of Eskwela.
And then badges, badges, badges. It is not available yet but instead of waiting you can post anytime your - Eskwela ID.
According to them, an Eskwela ID is:
- your business card to the world. It's your connection to...
- students, alumni, ex-collegues, ex-professors...
- an old classmate long lost
To use your Eskwela ID:
- post your Eskwela ID URL everywhere...
- calling cards
- email signatures
- post your Eskwela ID badge everywhere...
- website (MySpace, flickr, Multiply...)
The next feature I like is the "My Classes" feature. This is similar in functionality with the "groups" feature of other SNS, but in Eskwela, the My Classes and Groups features are two different things.
The My Classes page is straightforward. It allows you to add classes you are currently taking or taken. You can choose based on Academic Year, then you can select your Class Name or Subject, and input the Class Code. But if you want to add your own custom class name, just click on the checkbox right below the "Seclec Class Name / Subject" drop-down menu.
Once you are done, a new page will be created where just like a "group", students can join (if they are taking the same subject) and have a discussion. Statistics are pretty basic but informative in a way, you can see how many and who are the students currently taking the class; have taken the class; females in the class; males in the class.
What comes with the My Class is the "My Class Reviews", this is where you can give a review of a certain class you've taken or is currently taking. Some of the choices are:
- 100% Boredom Guaranteed
- 99.9% Great Learning Experience
- Ang cute ng professor
- Bawal ma-late. Bagsak ang abot.
- It unleashes the hidden knowledge in me (gameshogun note: *cough* *cough*)
- Mas ok pa mag Beach House
- Sure Voltes V and grade mo dito.
- Magaganda mga kumukuha ng subject na ito
and many more, of course you can write your own review if the choices do not truly represent what you think of your class.
These are just some of the features you will find when you join Eskwela Social-Networking Service. Though Eskwela received some comments about their claims like them claiming to be 100% Pinoy? I can say that Eskwela SNS is still a service that you should try, afterall, an SNS will not be in its full usefulness if there are not much members, hence "social-networking". Go try it, play with it for a few days or weeks, invite your friends and see if it will be something that you will keep backing back.
So see you in Eskwela, since I'm a "forever student" anyway...
My Eskwela ID.
The road ahead of Eskwela? Here are some of the new and upcoming features:
Launched November 2006:
- Invitations via Yahoo, MSN, Hotmail, Gmail, AOL
- Eskwela Official ID
v2.2 Target December 2006 - January 2007
- My Yearbook
- Schedule Feed
v2.3 February 2007
- My Groups (gameshogun note: Pinoy's favorite feature!)
- My Library
Read the complete list by clicking here.